Registered Migration Australia

Purpose of this Visa

This visa subclass is designed for the legal custodian or relative of a Study Visa holder in Australia to accompany the visa holder as a student guardian (provided they are under 18 years of age).

A legal custodian or relative of a Study Visa holder in Australia may apply to accompany the visa holder as a student guardian if they are under 18 years of age. This may be a physical or cultural need for an adult companion to accompany a student to Australia.

Assessment Level

The assessment levels are one of the requirements used to determine the nature of the evidence that a particular visa applicant must provide in order to satisfy the minister that he or she is a genuine student. The levels are based according to the country of issue of the passport that the applicant holds, and the education sector for the student's principal course. The levels range from one; nationals of countries who are considered "low risk" to three; for nationals that are considered "high risk". The exception to this is the “Streamlined Visa Processing” offered to eligible higher degree students from eligible universities and eligible non-university education providers.

English language proficiency

In most cases the acceptable standard of English language proficiency is determined by results of IELTS testing (or equivalent) or evidence that the education provider is satisfied of the visa applicant's English language ability.

Student Guardian Visa Requirements

A student guardian must:

  • Be a relative of the applicant;
  • Be over 21 years of age and of good character; and
  • Meet health and financial requirements.

Except in exceptional circumstances, the student guardian must be related to the applicant in one of the following ways:

  • Spouse;
  • Child;
  • Adopted child;
  • Parent;
  • Brother or sister;
  • Step-child;
  • Step-parent;
  • Step-brother or step-sister;
  • Grandparent;
  • Grandchild;
  • Aunt or uncle;
  • Niece or nephew;
  • Step-grandparent;
  • Step-grandchild;
  • Step-aunt or step-uncle; or
  • Step-niece or step-nephew.

Student guardians must meet the basic criteria of health, character, health insurance, debts to the Commonwealth of Australia, custody arrangements, and accommodation and general welfare.

They must also meet all financial requirements for students. This means they will need to show they have enough money to pay for living expenses, education costs and travel for the duration of the course. They will also need to show that they have enough money for themselves, their spouse and all of their children aged under 18 years, whether or not they will be coming to Australia with them.

In addition:

  • Student guardians will not be able to bring their family members to Australia as dependants;
  • A person who has any dependent children under 6 years of age will not be able to act as a student guardian; and
  • If you intend to be the student guardian of more than one student while in Australia, you must notify the department (when you apply) which student you would like your visa linked to.

How to Apply:

You must apply for this visa online through ImmiAccount. If you do not have an ImmiAccount, you can create one.

You can apply for this visa:

  • at the same time as the student
  • after the student has applied
  • after the student has been granted their visa, in which case the student would have demonstrated that other welfare arrangements were in place to meet their visa requirements.

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for this visa.

After you apply, we may ask you to:

  • attend an interview
  • provide additional information
  • provide biometric information
  • provide police certificates
  • undergo health checks.

You can find out if you need health checks, and then complete them, before you apply for this visa by completing the online application My Health Declarations.

You can be in or outside Australia when a decision is made on your application.

If you apply for this visa from outside Australia, do not make arrangements to travel to Australia or leave your job until you have received notification from us, in writing, that you have been granted a visa.

Student Guardian Visa

Subclass 590