Registered Migration Australia




The Partner (Provisional) Subclass 309 visa allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to travel to and live in Australia.


Partner (Provisional) Visa Subclass 309 entitlements


This visa allows you to:


  • enter Australia and stay here until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia, but with no access to government funding
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses


Partner (Provisional) Visa Subclass 309 Applicant requirements


You must be outside Australia and married or in a de facto relationship with:


  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen


You must be in a genuine and ongoing relationship. You must live with your partner or, if you do not, any separation must be only temporary.


Both parties must freely consent to the relationship.

You can apply if you intend to marry your partner before a decision on your visa is made.


In most cases, permanent residence cannot be granted less than two years from when you lodge the Partner (Provisional) Visa Subclass 309 Applicant application. You could be granted a permanent visa without having to fulfil the usual two-year waiting period if:


  • at the time you apply, you have been in a partner relationship with your partner for three years or more, or two years or more if you and your partner have a dependent child of your relationship
  • your partner holds or held a permanent humanitarian visa and you were in the relationship before the visa was granted and this relationship was declared to the department at the time


Partner (Provisional) Visa Subclass 309 Sponsor requirements


To be a sponsor you must:


  • be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • be married, be in a de facto relationship with your partner, or intend to marry before the visa is decided
  • be older than 18 years of age


If you are married and younger than 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must be the sponsor. That parent or guardian must be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.


Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens are expected to be living in Australia. Eligible New Zealand citizens might need to have a health examination or character check.



Contact Us


Please feel free to contact us for a consultation so that we can better assess and service your Partner (Provisional) Visa Subclass 309 migration needs. We are experts at finding the right visa for your situation. We give you advice and the best chance to get your Australian visa.