Registered Migration Australia



The Partner Visa Subclass 820 and 801 visas both allow the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.


The Temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) visa is the first stage towards a Permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) visa. You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided.


You lodge one application form for your temporary and permanent visas and pay one application charge. Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart.



Temporary Partner Visa (subclass 820) Visa entitlements


This visa will allow you to:


  • stay in Australia until a decision is made about your permanent Partner (subclass 801) visa
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia, but with no access to government funding
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses


Permanent Partner Visa (subclass 801) Visa entitlements


If you are granted a permanent visa, you can:


  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • receive some social security payments
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time you will need another visa to enter Australia


Partner visa (subclass 820/801) Applicant requirements


You must be married or in a de facto relationship with:


  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen


You must be in a genuine and ongoing relationship. You must live with your partner or, if you do not, any separation must be only temporary.


Both parties must freely consent to the relationship.


Partner visa (subclass 820/801) Sponsor requirements


To be a sponsor you must:

  • be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • be in a married or de facto relationship with your partner
  • be older than 18 years of age


If you are married and younger than 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must be the sponsor. That parent or guardian must be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.


Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens are expected to be living in Australia. Eligible New Zealand citizens might need to have a health examination or character check.



Contact Us


Please feel free to contact us for a consultation so that we can better assess and service your Partner Temporary (Subclass 820) and Permanent (Subclass 801) migration needs. We are experts at finding the right visa for your situation. We give you advice and the best chance to get your Australian visa.